Is myspace using memcache?

Antonello Provenzano antonello at deveel.com
Thu Jun 21 07:08:25 UTC 2007

I would have spoken about my own application, entirely based on .NET
and using memcached as primary caching system (I also used file-system
solutions for storing static cached objects), but Amazon forced me to
close it after three months.

By the way, the application was a semantic indexing engine for
specialized content (movies and cinema in the case of the application
just told), aiming to merge information from different sources to a
unique item.
Since our destination media for the indexation was a clustered Oracle
DB, we used memcached to store the IDs of the items during the
collection passage (the last passage before the release of the
element).
In the front-end we used memcached for storing the structure of an
element on change, distributing the cache between different machines
and replicating the cached items.

Since the nature of the information retrieved was fixed (at least in
the distribution done at that moment), we didn't use any expiration
for the cached items, removing them when the item (in the passage
before the collection) was changed or removed.

Hope this could help.

Cheers.
Antonello