Memcached Database Use

Jim Spath jspath at pangeamedia.com
Fri Jun 22 21:04:02 UTC 2007

Chris Miller wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am new to memcached and I have a question about its use before I
> implement it. I have a high traffic website written in PHP that is
> currently using MySQL on the backend with query cache. The cache really
> isn't working too well because the site is starting to have a massive
> number of updates that invalidate the cache.
>
> My question is simple: How can memcached help me?
>
> I see how that by storing database results in memcached would be very
> helpful, but how does memcached know when the result set in cache has
> changed?
>
> In other words, if I go out to the cache and pull down a result set how
> do I know if it's an accurate representation of the data?

Every time I update data in the database that affects one or more
Memcached keys, I delete that Memcached key.  That way, when the data is
needed by the application, a cache miss occurs, and the application
fetches the data from the database, and repopulates the key.

It seems to work well enough for me...

- Jim