Memcached hackathon

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Wed Jun 27 15:40:46 UTC 2007

Memcached devs & users:

As Steve knows, but will probably be a surprise to the rest of you, Sun
Microsystems is planning to assign several full-time engineers to
contributing to memcached.

I was hoping that some of these folks could attend the hackathon to get us
started working on improvements which will actually benefit the community
(and will be accepted), but July 9th is going to be impossible for both me
and for the engineers. :-(

Since we're going to miss the hackathon, I'd like to suggest that Sun host a
second memcached meeting.  We'd like you to meet some of the developers, and
find out from the existing contributors what things most need fixing or
scaling up in memcached.  We have our own ideas, of course, but it doesn't
help us to write patches which will be rejected.

I was thinking August 2nd or August 7th for the meeting, since that would be
immediately before or after LinuxWorldExpo and might let some out-of-towners
attend.  We can use the Sun Executive Briefing Center in Menlo Park, which is
very nice for large meetings.

Are people interested in this?  I'd really like to get Sun's contributing to
memcached off on the right foot, and this seems like the best way to do it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun