"bytes written"

Jehiah Czebotar jehiah at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:23:55 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, cyzzie at gmail.com <cyzzie at gmail.com> wrote:

> i have an eye upon my memcache stats and i'm wondering about its growth
>
> as "bytes" is around 300 megabytes - pretty constant -  bytes written
> is huge in comparison  - 46GB and bytes_read is only 1gig.
>
> So my first guess would be that i just made something very wrong, but
> still i doubt it ... why is bytes written so much bigger than bytes
> active - that is i only use static objects, no deletes, no expires.
>
> any idea? i am confused
>

> thanks for your help!
>
> Alex

those values increase over time... so the longer your memcached is up,
the larger those values will be.

It's expected that bytes_red will be smaller as it accounts for the
size of *mostly* get requests. bytes written accounts for the size of
the results sent back to the client.

some rough math says that you have transfered back to clients the size
of your cache 153 times... thats not to many at all, especially if
your instance has been up for a decent period of time.

--
Jehiah