memcached configuration

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Mon May 14 16:33:01 UTC 2007

On 14 May 2007, at 17:19, Paul Cowan wrote:

> <memcache>
>       <memcached host="127.0.0.1" port="11211" weight="2" />
>
>       <memcached host="127.0.0.1" port="11212" weight="5" />
>
> </memcache>
>

> Could somebody explain why there are 2 <memcached> elements both
> pointing to the same I.P. address but with different ports.
As it stands it makes very little sense! If they were completely
separate then it might be that you were storing different kinds of
data in each and you perhaps wanted to be able to clear either
without affecting the other. But here they are set up as a weighted
pair. The only reason I can think of for doing this is that it's a
testing setup where you want to make sure that your client is talking
to 2 servers correctly, and that the weightings are working correctly
too.
> Also what would influence my choice of ports and finally what is
> the weight attribute used for?
Ports are entirely arbitrary, and related to what you want/need to
open on your firewall. By default memcached runs on port 11211. The
weight is just a biasing factor - if you had two servers, one with
1Gb for memcached, and another with 2Gb, you might assign them
weights of 1 and 2 respectively, so that 2/3 of the data goes on the
server with more space.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info at hand CRM solutions