PHP Daemon marks Memcache as failed every few days

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Wed May 23 14:53:35 UTC 2007

On 23 May 2007, at 15:33, Brian Moon wrote:

> My tests have shown that if you can reduce the size of the data,
> the time saved in network traffic for moving smaller objects is
> well worth the tiny amount of cpu to compress and uncompress the
> data.  We deal with about 300k chunks of HTML.  I thought that
> maybe I could speed it up if I skipped compressions.  I found the
> opposite to be true.  Not sure about the gz libraries in Java.  But
> in PHP they are smoking fast.

Not quite the same thing, but I ran into the opposite scenario
recently. A simple scp of a 180Mb file between servers (dual dual
Xeons) on a gigabit LAN. With compression (scp -C) it sustained about
12Mb/sec net throughput (15 sec to copy, i.e. CPU compression speed
is limiting the rate), but without compression it did 70Mb/sec (just
under 3 sec to copy - I was impressed! probably disk limited (U320,
10k)). i.e. if you have gigabit locally, the throughput comes much
cheaper than compression. I suspect YMMV quite a lot, so it's
probably worth benchmarking. 100Mbit can usually deliver around 10Mb/
sec, so had I been on that, compression would have been the faster
choice. Similar choices will apply to other protocols that support
compression such as MySQL (client and slave traffic). Generally,
gigabit rocks...

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info at hand CRM solutions