how to tell when your cache is full?

Ben Hartshorne memcache at green.hartshorne.net
Fri May 25 18:30:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 02:10:10PM -0400, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> I would imagine when you start seeing more evictions in your stats than you
> expect, you know your cache is full.  I'd say anything else is
> over-complicating it.

What do you mean by evictions?  Cache misses?  There are plenty of valid
reasons for cache misses that can change depending on the traffic coming
in rather than the state of the cache being full.

I am using version 1.1.13; the list of stats I see are pid, uptime,
time, version, pointer_size, rusage_user, rusage_system, curr_items,
total_items, bytes, curr_connections, total_connections,
connection_structures, cmd_get, cmd_set, get_hits, get_misses,
bytes_read, bytes_written, and limit_maxbytes.  Which of these indicate
evictions (and what is an eviction, anyways?  ;)

Thanks,

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne