evictions stat in 1.2.2

Ben Hartshorne memcache at green.hartshorne.net
Mon May 28 23:19:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 05:32:15PM +0200, BUSTARRET, Jean-francois wrote:

> The eviction stat only counts "cache overflows" (valid entries bumped
> from the cache by inserts) and not expirations.
>
> What would be the point of counting expirations ?

I agree that I am more interested in cache overflows.  However, the docs
in 'protocol.txt' included with the tarball describes:

    355 evictions         64u      Number of items removed from cache because
    356                            they passed their expiration time

This seems incorrect, both by my reading of the code and your statement
above.  Unfortunately, I can't quite describe exactly what evictions are
because I don't understand the conditions under which an item's refcount
can be nonzero (and therefore not bumped to make way for new items).

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben at hartshorne.net