Next Major Memcached release / roadmap?

Ben Hartshorne memcache at green.hartshorne.net
Wed May 30 15:27:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 04:47:59AM -0700, Paul Lindner wrote:
> I've been thinking of where memcached is now and where it might go in
> the future.  I was hoping the community could come together and define
> a roadmap of possible features to be added/incorporated in future
> memcached releases.

A few things I'd like to see:

A method of determining how much space is left in your cache (per
server).  Right now (with 1.2.2), an evictions stat was added, but it
only tells you when you've actually gone over the limit, not when you
are approaching it.

Better handling of the 'cur_items' stat - currently (as of 1.1.13; not
sure if it changed), it only decrements when you try and access an
expired item, not when the item expires.  The stat is therefore too high
if you have many items that expire without ever being retrieved.

A method of retrieving all keys that are stored, similar to perls 'keys'
function (when applied to a hash).

I have no idea of the feasability of any of these items, I'm just
tossing them out as a wishlist.

Thanks!

-ben

p.s.  I'm currently a sysadmin of memcache, rather than a user, so my
desires center around managing the cluster of memcache servers.

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben at hartshorne.net
http://ben.hartshorne.net