Running as a daemon/monitoring TTL

Ben Hartshorne memcache at green.hartshorne.net
Thu May 31 17:41:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:37:07AM +0100, Harry McIntyre wrote:
> Hi there folks!
>
> We have just set up our first memcached server. As a test I created two
> instances using -d, one for each of our servers ethernet cards.
> Unfortunately we used the default size of 64MB. I would like to somehow
> uninstall these daemon processes and reinstall them using 8GB instances, but
> every time I do a killall and reinstanciate them at a different size, then
> do a reboot, the original size of 64 MB is restored. We are running an
> Ubuntu 7.04 server.

edit /etc/sysconfig/memcached (or wherever 'grep SYSCONFIG
/etc/init.d/memcached' tells you to find your configuration file; dunno
if it's different on ubuntu - I use CentOS) to specify CACHESIZE="8000"
for 8GB.  (or should it be 8196?)

> Also,  is there a good way to monitor what the current average insert time
> of the files being dropped by the LRU algorithm is? I'm not quite sure how
> to tell how hard a memcached server is being hit.

you have stats for number of sets, gets, cache_hits, and evictions,
which probably are what you're looking for.

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben at hartshorne.net