Multiget/intelligent generic PHP wrapper function... thoughts /advice wanted

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Sat Nov 3 17:57:15 UTC 2007

   Most of this discussion has been around guessing what is or isn't
fast enough.  Knuth warned us about wasting our time on such things.

   My python function figured out what keys were not returned in one
line that (at least I think) is easy to read.  I'm sure a similar
thing is possible in PHP.  The rest of that function was reusable for
any similar lookup one might want to do.  The sample DB fill source
was safe from SQL injections, DB independent, and easy to understand.

   These should be the goals in designing software.  A good design
usually leads to an implementation that is fast enough.

   Iff you have strong evidence that your implementation is not fast
enough, then you begin to trade simplicity for speed.  Most code never
needs to make it to this phase.

   So please don't consider the length of this thread to indicate the
complexity of the problem, but more of people's desire to
unnecessarily add complexity to solutions.

--
Dustin Sallings (mobile)