How do you track page hits or click statistics?

dangalist at centrum.cz dangalist at centrum.cz
Sun Nov 4 01:29:14 UTC 2007

I am trying to figure out problem, how to effective track click statistics like user profile views
without hitting database or writing statistics to flatfile and processing by cron. It would be best
to save them directly into memcache so they can be globally available, then run in periods
database updates. The problem is that there could be thousands of different profiles to count stats for
 so using increment function is not an option.
Best would be if memcache would support "append" so I could save all hit IDs under one memcache
key and then process the list to count frequency of IDs and issue db update.
So my question is, how do I handle such cases to have statistics written into shared place to process later DB update?

Goodwill