Extensible command syntax

Tomash Brechko tomash.brechko at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:55:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 22:29:52 +0300, Tomash Brechko wrote:
> My short term goal is to implement new commands with extensible
> param[=val] syntax.  Then for update commands I'll add 'noreply'
> boolean option (which will be truly optional, that's the point), and
> will set it if user aren't going to use the reply anyway, for instance
> when Perl binding is called in void context (wantarray returns undef).
> Perhaps this will speed up things a bit.  The idea is not mine
> actually.

My employer decided that implementing this feature the proper long way
would require lots of maintenance later, if those patches wouldn't be
accepted to the mainstream (the won't merge easily later ;)).

So here comes another set of patches, do-it-the-dirty-way.  They add
'noreply' optional keyword to the end of all updating commands (add,
set, replace, append, prepend and cas).

There are 6 patches in this sequence.  First 4 are fixes (three of
them repeat previous patches, but I decided to send the whole
sequence), 5 is an implementation of 'noreply' in the server, and 6 is
its use in Perl API.

You may experiment with test cases to learn what the speedup is.  It
would be nice if someone could try them and post the measurements from
some real-world project with memcached+Perl.

For now it's unclear if I'll continue param[=value] series :-/.

Regards,

--
   Tomash Brechko