memcached 1.2.4 release process

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Wed Nov 28 07:42:32 UTC 2007

Paul Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to see 1.2.4 get out soon.  I'll volunteer to be the release
> manager if no one else is interested.
>
> I've just caught up with the past couple weeks worth of mailing list
> traffic.  Can we answer the following questions:
>
>  * Is the current trunk feature complete?
>  * What are the open issues that would keep us from going to a
>    beta or release candidate tarball

So as you see, there's a 1.2.4-rc1 out today. There've been a few
changes since in trunk (fix a few bugs; shouldn't be a big deal).

I have one standing issue right now which I haven't tracked down:

Take hg.tangent.org's libmemcached from trunk, and memcached from trunk.

Build memcached in threaded mode, start it with defaults.

set environment variable like ... MEMCACHED_SERVERS="127.0.0.1:11211"

the run the 'make test' from libmemcached. On my core2duo at least,
memcached'll either spin or segfault during the generate_nonblock tests.

Memcached 1.2.2 in threaded mode passes the tests, so it's soemthing
since then. If someone's enterprising do a bisect and figure it out for
us :)

Otherwise, I have no known issues. Since the ML was down until now I
really hope some folks check out -rc1 or trunk and find some bugs.

Paul; Either of us can finish the release, doesn't matter to me. Help
platform testing, and more tests are always good. We missed a lot of
silly bugs in merging all of the append/prepend/cas nuttyness.

Thanks!
-Dormando