Memcached Win32 load testing results

Oliver Castle Oliver.Castle at TescoDiets.com
Fri Nov 30 09:58:23 UTC 2007

Hello

Just for any one that is interested I have been working on a project
using the Win 32 port of Memcached
(http://jehiah.cz/projects/memcached-win32/) and the EnyimMemcached
client as a global cache manager with some very impressive results. The
application is very database intensive so with caching switched off we
could get the application 1000 concurrent users and the CPU on the
database servers would get to 100% and we would would see and
exponential increase in load times (I should note that under load with
just the database load times were quite slow any way 2-5 seconds).

With memcached started across our 4 web servers each with 1gb of
memcached memory we can run at 3,500 concurrent users and we see our
database load halved and an average load time of 0.5 seconds per web
page. The only traffic to the database was the initial cache of user
data and then the high concurrency of inserted data to the database but
the loading testing consultant was considerably impressed by what
memcached could deal with.

We had a license for 5,000 concurrent users for loading testing but we
had network work issues causing a bottle neck for through put so my boss
now has a nice order for a switch and new load balancer instead having
to improve code and database performance :->

Thanks to every one involved in the memcached project it has certainly
helped improve the performance of our applications.

Cheers

Ollie Castle

E-mail Disclaimer
The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended only for the confidential use of the named recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
Furthermore, no part of the information may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, or by an information storage or retrieval system, without prior permission.

TescoDiets may monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for the purposes of security and staff training.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and/or system manager and delete the material from all relevant computers.
The employer assumes no responsibility for any use to which the information may be put, or for any errors.

Registration Number 19542