Speed difference under load

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Sat Oct 27 04:54:26 UTC 2007

K J wrote:
> So it's normal to have Memcache's response time be 1 second, if the
> system is relatively idle?  This happens when I'm basically the only
> user on the system, logging in, checking pages, etc.

The slowdown is almost certainly in your client library. The server, on
our systems, takes about 1.5 milliseconds to start up, and a fraction of
a millisecond to answer the first request. But your client might be
doing a lot of work the first time it executes. You didn't say what your
client language and environment is, so it's kind of hard to even take a
useful guess.

-Steve