Speed difference under load

K J sanbat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 08:18:37 UTC 2007

> The slowdown is almost certainly in your client library. The server, on
> our systems, takes about 1.5 milliseconds to start up, and a fraction of
> a millisecond to answer the first request. But your client might be
> doing a lot of work the first time it executes. You didn't say what your
> client language and environment is, so it's kind of hard to even take a
> useful guess.

The app is running on PHP and is using the PHP memcache library:
http://cn2.php.net/manual/en/ref.memcache.php

I record the time it takes to render a page, and every page ends up taking 1
second or so.  Most of that 1 second is due to the very first memcache get
request.  It happens at every page that uses memcache.  The only time this
problem goes away is when I run a load testing tool and start having
multiple users hit the system constantly.