Memcached + MySQL

Brian Aker brian at tangent.org
Wed Oct 31 01:19:16 UTC 2007

Hi!

On Oct 30, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Angelo McComis wrote:

> I saw the one-page with the source download, I've read the README in
> there... essentially it's pre-alpha work.

Expect that to change very quickly soon. The current work for the
engine is solid, the problem was at the time I had no C client
library that would work from either a license point of view or a "it
does not leak memory and is thread safe". The library I implemented,
libmemcached, is now pretty solid so I can turn back my attention to
the engine sometime in the next month. There are some issues I want
to work on with node failure, but that it minor work at this point.

> improve the performance of this thing. MemcacheD looked appealing
> as it
> could theoretically plug in as a storage engine and turn disk reads
> into
> memory reads for frequently resolved DNS queries.

This will work. If you are just looking for a one node solution, you
can just use the MEMORY in engine in MySQL.

One thing to consider is whether or not you might just want to use
memcached directly. The advantages of running it as a table are tools
and structures, but you do hit a performance cost for doing that.

Cheers,
	-Brian

Brian "Krow" Aker, brian at tangent.org
Seattle, Washington