binary wire protocol in memcached

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Tue Sep 4 20:43:02 UTC 2007

Dustin Sallings wrote:
>>     BP_FLUSH_REGEX_CMD = (BP_S_E | FIELD(0x0, 0)),
> Does this implementation exist?  People have been asking for it a lot.

It does, but Brad felt my implementation wasn't good enough to check
into the official tree. I actually agree with him; it was a quick hack
that is not at all elegant. It basically loops through every key in the
cache comparing against the regex, blocking all other requests while it
runs. On a large cache that means it locks up memcached for a long
period of time, causing client timeouts and so forth.

We used it once or twice after I wrote it last year, then decided it was
too painful and haven't touched it since. It is not something I have any
interest in fielding support questions about (since I am fully aware
that it sucks) so I haven't been inclined to publish it. Anyone who
wants to can probably reproduce it pretty easily; go for the most naive
implementation you can think of and you'll probably be pretty close.

-Steve