Regarding Memcached Server configuration?

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 09:13:37 UTC 2007

On 26 Sep 2007, at 07:04, Ajinkya Nahar wrote:

> I am working on a PHP – Mysql based web application.
>
> I am using memcached for caching purpose.
>
> I have one query regarding memcached server setup as follows –
>
> If we have 1.7 GB memory on a server, how much should we allocate
> to memcached assuming there is nothing else running on the server.
>
> Also, if we decide to allocate 1.5 GB, in that case, is it good to
> have just 1 memcached instance running or let’s say 3 - each with
> 0.5 GB?
>
> We are using the latest PHP memcache client which implements
> consistent hashing strategy.

If you are only running one server, you might be better off using APC
for your caching. If you have 2 servers, you might get better
performance by running your PHP on both, and also using both for
memcache (with memcache the more physical servers you have, the
faster it can go, on average). This will also give you a bit of
redundancy, letting your service continue if one server dies.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info at hand CRM solutions