Fault Tolerance?

Mdecandia mdecandia at email.it
Fri Sep 28 07:50:24 UTC 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 22:16, Dustin Sallings write:

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 21:56, Paul Scott wrote:
>
> >> Agreed. Wouldn’t it be great though to have a mem-based HA datastore?
> >
> > I would certainly vote +1 on that idea!
>
> 	You do realize you wouldn't have anything remotely like the
> performance of memcached, don't you?  You'd need something along the
> lines of two-phase-commit if you want any kind of correctness.  If
> you don't want correctness, then why are you worried about HA?

We use memcached to store items fetched from a slow service, not from
database.
Performance difference between this service and memcached are huge.
May be really convenient to have an HA feature on memcached servers.

> 	If you lose a node, how do you plan on rematerializing?  A complete
> synchronization would block both nodes in a two-node cluster.

We've introduced libketama consistant hashing to reduce effects on server
faults but
it will be useful to have a redundant caching system between servers to be
really fault toulerant.

> 	How would you handle conflicts during rematerialization after a
> netsplit?
>
> 	Is it acceptable to block all clients during a netsplit (pending
> some sort of magical synchronization that knows what to do when
> conflicts occur)?
>
> 	After you get all of the pieces in place, are you sure you'd have
> something that would be any faster than any solution that isn't
> completely in-memory?
>
> --
> Dustin Sallings

 Michele

 Sponsor:
 Problemi di Liquidità? Con Logos Finanziaria 30.000 € in 24 ore a
dipendenti e lavoratori autonomi con rimborsi fino a 120 mesi clicca qui

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2907&d=20070928