Different memcached cache sizes across servers

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Thu Apr 3 22:56:31 UTC 2008

dormando wrote:
> I'd actually recommend against running multiple instances if possible.
> Having larger instances makes multiget's more efficient, and causes
> fewer roundtrips.
>
> If it doesn't work to simply list a server multiple times, those clients
> should be fixed.

At one point, I patched the Enyim memcached client to support a "weight"
parameter in the server config, so you specified an integer that
represented the "weight" of a server, and the hashing algorithm took
that into account when generating hashes for the server (so a server
with a weight of 10 would get ten times as many hashes as a server with
a weight of 1).

It worked really well, because you basically just set the weight to the
number of MB/GB of memory assigned to memcached on that server.

Unfortunately, I don't have the patch anymore, since we're now running
identical servers and I didn't need it, but it was pretty simple :-)

Dean.