Memcached on a shared host

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 16:04:06 UTC 2008

On 4/17/08, Peter J. Holzer <hjp at hjp.at> wrote:

> Use a unix domain socket and set the permissions accordingly.

duh, didn't think about suggesting that. however, having a local
socket doesn't make sense if this is supposed to be *distributed* -
use APC (in PHP) or some other local caching mechanism if you don't
plan on distributing it!

> But in that case I'd use a different scheme: Tell your users to choose a
> hard to guess prefix (for example, 16 random letters or digits) for
> their keys. This will ensure that users cannot read or modify each
> other's data unless they are told or can guess the prefix.

thats originally how i was going to do it, except people can wreak
havoc by issuing flush_all and such. depending on how many people use
it, it could wreck the whole point of having the cache there...