Is Memcached suitable for my RSS Agggregator site?

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Wed Apr 23 04:56:10 UTC 2008

Andy Zain wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> -          Is memcached suitable for Kedoya.com ?

Looking at your site, it looks like memcache would definitely work for
you, but it depends on your queries and expected load and so on.

> -          What is the maximum size of database table that can be
> effectively handled by memcached?
>
> -          Assuming I have a dedicated server with 20 GB of RAM, can I
> split a big 16 GB table into 4 memcached tables (4 GB each) ?
>
> -          Assuming I have a dedicated server with 20 GB of RAM, can I
> load  4 big tables (4 GB each)  into 4 memcached tables (4 GB each) ?

Here, though, I think you're a bit confused about the role of memcache.
It's not really meant for caching "tables" as such. Memcache is
basically an enormous hashtable.

It is not limited to the amount of RAM you have installed on a single
server, because you run memcache on pretty much *all* of your servers,
and the memcache client automatically distributes the load between all
instances.

Dean.