Toru's Multi Storage Patch

Tim Bunce Tim.Bunce at pobox.com
Wed Feb 6 11:21:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 02:38:17PM -0800, Brian Aker wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Toru Maesaka wrote:
>
>> int (*sb_settings)(void*, const char*);
>>
>> where const char* can be something along the line of:
>>
>> "database_name:option1=foo:option2=foo:option3=foo" (somewhat like the
>> DBI).
>
> We will need a flexible way of passing options to engines. Either we pipe
> unknown command line args, or we tell engines to define their own
> configuration files.

An idea[1] from the DBI may be relevant here: give each engine a unique
very short 'tag' name. Options private to an engine would have names
that start with the tag. Effectively giving each engine a 'namespace'.

This avoid the problem of multiple engines using the same option name
but with slightly difering semantics.

Tim.

[1] Every DBI driver has its own 'driver prefix' and all driver-private
attribute (option) names start with this prefix and an underscore:
  $sth->bind_param(":foo", $value, { ora_type => 42, ix_type => 97 })