Multi-Interface Patch

Brian Aker brian at tangent.org
Fri Feb 15 07:34:35 UTC 2008

Hi!

On Feb 14, 2008, at 11:39 PM, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 23:02, Brian Aker wrote:
>
>> As to order, memcached has to feed you keys back in the order you
>> sent them, or you have to keep a map of key to opaque ID. That map
>> is expensive. Dormando is saying that the end user should keep
>> this, but you believe it belongs in the library.
>
> 	I just don't understand why you think you need a map.  An array of
> char* is perfectly sufficient.

To me the creation of that array is pretty expensive. It is going to
be a system call (or series of system calls).

> 	Likewise, order doesn't matter.  They do come back in the same
> order, but it's not guaranteed.  We could guarantee it, I suppose.
> I just don't see the gain.

Ok, I see your point with this.

> 	We could conditionally place the key in front of that, set the key
> length and adjust the header appropriately.  It's for the sake of
> solving a problem that I still don't think exists.
>
> 	In your API, you have this:
>
> 	memcached_return memcached_mget(memcached_st *ptr, char **keys,
> size_t *key_length, unsigned int number_of_keys)
>
> 	``char **keys'' is all the mapping you need for O(1) opaque -> key
> lookups.  If you start your opaque at 0, you don't even have to do
> subtraction.  The key for a given response is:
>
> 	keys[opaque]

memcached_fethch() then has to be called to fetch the keys (or the
execute method). So either the user will have to keep around the keys
for my usage... which means setting pointers to the opaque...

Right, but I am going to have to malloc the keys and lengths. I have
no idea if the user still has that structure around during a fetch.
There is no requirement that you have to stay in scope of the
memcached_mget(). A user can call that, and lazily grab values as they
want them.

> 	Similarly, you can figure out which keys you received and which you
> didn't with memcmp on a bitmap.  Which ones you didn't receive are
> the keys corresponding to the 0's in that bitmap.  Using the keys in
> the response limits your flexibility around this.

Now that is a good reason... but right now user's just do this on
their own in the upper layer.

I am starting to see your point... but it seems like a lot of effort
for not a lot of gain. The evidence that I might need is proof that
this is going to make a difference in performance. The two mallocs
(well... perhaps one if I screw around with a single memory block) are
expensive. Plus it means bloat in the driver for memory size
(something I have been trying to keep down).

So, I'll commit to creating a branch on this and seeing how
performance works out, and putting in the memory allocations.

Thanks for arguing with me over this.

Cheers,
	-Brian

Brian "Krow" Aker, brian at tangent.org