Cross-client memcached compatibility

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Tue Jan 29 21:13:14 UTC 2008

   It comes up a lot, so apparently it happens.

   There are a few dimensions to interop:

   * Hash algorithms
   * Node location algorithms
   * Flag usage
   * Content encoding

   There is at least one common hash algorithm I think every client
supports.

   There are two node location algorithms many clients support -- at
least one they all do (should?)

   Someone put together a matrix of flag usage recently.  It seems
there are commonalities, but mostly by coincidence.  This needs work.

   Content encoding varies greatly.  Strings are somewhat easy, though
not universal, but there are other common types that could handle a
common encoding.

--
Dustin Sallings (mobile)