How to read stats using stats command

Jehiah Czebotar jehiah at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:14:30 UTC 2008

The best answer is probably in the protocol documentation

http://code.sixapart.com/svn/memcached/trunk/server/doc/protocol.txt

rusage_user       32u:32u  Accumulated user time for this process
                           (seconds:microseconds)
rusage_system     32u:32u  Accumulated system time for this process
                           (seconds:microseconds)
curr_items        32u      Current number of items stored by the server
total_items       32u      Total number of items stored by this server
                           ever since it started

you can certainly tune your system based on those, but you probably
want to pay attention to your hit ratio (get_hits vs cmd_gets), that
is how many 'gets' were served from the cache, and how many didn't
find the data they were looking for. You also should pay attention to
evictions, which is the number of items pushed out of the cache to
make room for new items (even though that is normal, it may help tune
your system if it isn't what you expect).

with the stats provided you are getting a 96% hit ratio, and your
cache is only storing 12Mb of data, so it sounds like your system is
running just fine.