item expiration

Gary Zhu Gzhu at Ironplanet.com
Wed Jun 11 18:29:01 UTC 2008

In most of the cases, LRU should be good enough. If the 'important' items are used very often, they will be naturally kept in cache. Locking some rarely-used items in cache, I cannot see the justification for the cost of discarding other often-used items and constantly re-creating them as they are referenced frequently.

But if the feature is really wanted, the idea of identifying items not subject to LRU (discarded only after they expire), I agree with Dustin, this should not override expiry parameter.

-----Original Message-----
From: memcached-bounces at lists.danga.com [mailto:memcached-bounces at lists.danga.com] On Behalf Of Dustin Sallings
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:31 AM
To: Reinis Rozitis
Cc: <memcached at lists.danga.com>
Subject: Re: item expiration

   IMO, the idea does conflict a bit with the idea of a cache, at
least as I understand it.

   Implementation-wise, it seems like another command to flag an
existing record as one that should specify LRU  priority.

   I can imagine if you have items you want to not be removed by LRU
that you perhaps also have items you consider cheaper than others and
would prefer these other items discarded before more expensive items
to recreate.

   Likewise, it doesn't unreasonable to have items you want to expire
at a particular point in time, but not before it.

   If you can imagine communicating a cost of invalidation to
memcached, you could see how careful use of such a thing could
potentially make for more efficient systems.  For a finite list of
priorities, it could be inplemented quite easily and efficiently.

--
Dustin Sallings (mobile)