item expiration

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Wed Jun 11 20:30:09 UTC 2008

hate to say it, but I almost like this alternative. We already have the
option to disable evictions entirely. Mixing those into the cache means
they at least need to be promoted to the head when an eviction is called.

Mixing them into general caches might tend to cause more bugs as the
effective temporary cache size shrinks over time.

Thinking it through, I'm not actually entirely sure how priority without
a guarantee on evictions would be of much use. if an item is that
important, but not accessed very often, is it really that important? If
the number of values are small, that smells more like a database summary
table entry with its own cache than a server modification. That would be
tolerant to any sort of cache failure (ie; upgrades). Building in minor
guarantees is asking for pain.

-Dormando