Few queries on atomicity of requests

Daniel memcached at puptv.com
Mon Jun 23 06:55:29 UTC 2008

Hi Dormando

Thanks.

I'm going to try to keep this e-mail short for a change...

> I don't get it...  Here in "memcached land" we're dealing with
> > situations where if we DON'T warm up the cache before going live can
> > make sites blow up, meanwhile people are saying/thinking that a generic
> > memcached/database combination isn't worth the trouble.

I don't think I made my point here very well...  Yes, clustered
databases are fast, but it seems memcached allows a system to grab data
much much faster, with the realization that it may be stale.

Why isn't there much interest in looking to see how these two systems
could be combined? The database programmers I've spoken to know how much
work and effort has gone into optimizing the database, and don't take
lightly any suggestion that performance can easily be improved.

Many people here realize that a memcached/database solution would be
slower than app specific memcached calls. Alternately anything beyond an
"app wrapper" toolkit like django which handles database caching is good
enough.

I believe that databases could be improved by integrating the benefits
of memcached caching into CDD's, and a modified core database to
communicate the the CDD's.

The beauty and the trouble of this idea of making a cache database
daemon (CDD) that is able to provide guaranteed accurate data is that
the core database would have to report to the CDD when data in or out of
a transaction is updated or deleted.

One other benefit I didn't really think to mention until now, is that
when the CDD can provide guaranteed accurate data, the core database
will be able to request data from the CDD rather than having to go get
it from a disk.

Thanks

Daniel