Another Delete Question...

Wayne Hineman hiney01 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 05:54:57 UTC 2008

Hi,
As a newbie to memcached, I've been reading carefully the protocol
document and have a question about the optional time value on the
'delete' command. The document describes very well how it works;
my question is what is the use case for this function? Is it used
widely? I can kind of understand a desire to prevent certain keys
from being stored, but the 'set' command overrides this behavior.
Is it expected that new keys are always 'add'ed and existing keys
always 'replace'd? I might expect that the opposite is true: that
'set' is used more frequently than add/replace, thus making the
optional time on 'delete' moot. So what's the thought behind this
feature?

Thanks!

Wayne