garbage collector

Ivan Szanto ivan.szanto at ulx.hu
Sat May 24 20:05:14 UTC 2008

Hi Dormando,

> Unfortunately you just patched the wrong problem. Memcached does not
> need an active garbage collector.

Of course it does. With the garbage collector our problems were gone.

> Are you sure your machine was not swapping? Did you set the memory limit
> too high? How did you verify it was "slow" ? What symptoms were you seeing?

Sure it was not swapping. I will dig up the munin graphs for you to have
a look.
The symptom was that it was unable to put in any more items, which made
our website unavailable.
> "evictions" counters only go up when a *valid* item is removed from
> cache ahead of time. Your cache was never quite full enough to
> preemptively expire valid items.

Thanks for the explanation. Where can I see in the stats that it throws
out expired items?
> Memcached is designed to use up to the limit of memory you specify, then
> it will re-use that memory in a very efficient way,
In my previous mail, I wrote about a part of the code where it reuses
memory.
After I browsed through the whole code, I did not find any other part.
Is there another part?
Please let me know.
>  so it will never
> release memory back to the operating system. If you're hitting swap, set
> the maxbytes value to be lower with the "-m" option.
 >
> -Dormando

The problem was not that I expected it to release memory to the
operating system.
The problem was that it did not accept any more new items, because it
was full of expired items.

Ivan