Securing MogileFS

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Thu Aug 25 08:31:14 PDT 2005

I'm working on an access control plugin for Perlbal (mogstored), but you
don't have to use Perlbal for your mogstoreds... you can just run Apache
and mod_dav.  Or you can use mogstored for PUT/DELETEing the files, and
run Apache in parallel for GETting the files.

I really don't recommend that, though, since it's trivial for end-users to
then enumerate all the files if they have direct access to Apache.

The way LiveJournal solves it is Perlbal and its internal redirect
feature.  mod_perl looks up where the files are, but then it just tells
Perlbal the address(es) and perlbal handles shuttling the data to the user
at whatever rate, now that mod_perl isn't involved.

See:  http://danga.com/words/2005_oscon/

- Brad