df numbers vs reality

Eric Lambrecht eml at guba.com
Tue Dec 6 23:03:56 UTC 2005

something we just noticed:

> guba at caitlin:~$ df -k -l /storage
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda4            236869888 224837608         0 100% /storage

*sigh*.. didn't realize the OS reserves about 5% of the blocks for the
super-user, so mogile thinks we've still got space left when we're
actually out.

This is the case for ext2 or ext3, and I haven't checked with the reiser
boxes yet (we're doing a couple different filesystems to see how they
work out).

You might be able to get around this with ext2 and ext3 by using the '-m
0' argument to mk2efs.

Frustrating how you never seem to get exactly what tools report...

Eric...