Using MogileFS

Brandon Barkley brandon at cafeid.com
Thu Aug 10 14:47:20 UTC 2006

I have a few questions about using MogileFS in an application. I thought
I had it pretty much understood, but my boss glanced over some things
and then utterly confused me.

Basically, we run an application that uses PHP and ActionScript. Users
can upload an image in PHP which would obviously use $mogfs->new_file or
equivilant to add it to the cluster.

The question I have is about getting files to the Flash. The way you
normally sent a file to flash is by specifying a URL. I assume we could
send a result of get_paths to the flash and then it would request the
file through Perlbal rather than apache.

I'm not sure if that would have all of the advantages of get_file_data
though. Is there any disadvantage of passing the HTTP path to the Flash
application?

We are also worried about mime-types (my boss more than I, I think Flash
can deal). There was a message a while back where Brad said:

"LiveJournal's userpics (10s of millions of them) have content types,
but it's the LJ app that knows about them. We tell Perlbal, "yo, service
this MogileFS file with this content-type...." and Perlbal does its
internal" redirect thing, ignoring the (empty) mime type from the
mogstored node."

I'm trying to figure out how exactly to implement the request for the
file from Perlbal to include a MIME-type.

Any help at all on either area would be appreciated. Thank you.

Brandon Barkley