How large should a mogilefsd process become?

Andreas J. Koenig andreas.koenig.gmwojprw at franz.ak.mind.de
Tue Aug 22 08:12:00 UTC 2006

  > Well, the replication process is getting a review/rework currently, so
  > we'll keep an eye out for anything that would cause it to bloat.

Thanks Mark,

you can relax, I have good news: there was a memory leak in DBI that
was fixed in 1.52. It was apparently the major acting partner for the
memory leak in mogilefs. I installed DBI 1.52 yesterday and over night
I saw just a tiny amount of growth which was nothing compared to the
growth I observed before the upgrade. I'll keep an eye on that.

So problem solved, at least mostly.

Now one might write

   use DBI 1.52

or one might consider using prepare_cached() instead of prepare() in
so far the leak was caused by creating statement handles and
prepare_cached might improve performance as a side effect.

The concept of komtanoo.pinpimai to add some sort of
MaxRequestPerChild is probably the most robust solution against all
sorts of memory leaks which might appear in other perl/OS/module
combinations in the future.

Thanks to all contributors in this thread,
--
andreas