Some questions about a new install

Clint Goudie-Nice cgoudie at twelvehorses.com
Tue Oct 3 16:04:57 UTC 2006

Greetings, I hope I've not stumbled into the wrong mailing list here. If
so, point me in the right direction.

I'm evaluating MogileFS for a back end storage mechanism for images, and
from everything I've read, it looks like it's ideally suited to our
environment.

Since this is going to be running on a production environment, I pulled
down 1.0. I saw 2.0 in CPAN, but also saw it was marked as a developer
release. Which would be more stable for a production environment with
lots of hits via the http interface? I'm assuming 1.0, but wanted to
confirm.

What would be a rough estimate as to the timeframe that 2.0 is will be
ready for a production environment?

I installed the dependencies from CPAN (Perlbal,
Perlbal::XS::HTTPHeaders, and Linux::AIO) but the 1.9 version of
Linux::AIO fails the tests. I noticed that the dependency in mogilefs is
actually for 1.3, so I found that specific revision, pulled it down, but
that revision wont even make on my box.

I noticed in the readme for Linux::AIO 1.9, that it says it's been
superseded by IO::AIO and has api compatibility, so after a successful
install of IO::AIO, I tweaked up the mogilefs package to use it instead
of Linux::AIO. Am I on the right track here, or am I going to cause
bigger problems?

Perhaps to circumvent that question, I'm not planning to use the NFS
mount at all. Is Linux::AIO used only for the NFS stuff, or it is more
widely used in the MogileFS package?

This is on an FC5 box with Perl 5.8.8, although an attempt on CentOS 4.4
with Perl 5.8.5 resulted in the same errors on Linux::AIO.

Thanks for the help,

Clint Goudie-Nice
Software Architect/Engineer
Twelve Horses