killing NFS mode? objections?

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Oct 5 23:10:10 UTC 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Jay Buffington wrote:

> On 10/2/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>> I would, I use NFS mode on FreeBSD.
>
> I think you talked about this at the summit, but I didn't quite
> understand why you weren't using HTTP mode.  Now that IO::AIO exists,
> there's no reason not to?

I wasn't at the summit (I'm in Seattle), but somebody else may have
mentioned it.

IO::AIO doesn't work on FreeBSD for reasons that appear to be
FreeBSD's fault.  (So far as I can tell from discussions with the
author of IO::AIO.)  Therefore Perlbal won't work and we needed to
use NFS mode.

If the new lighttpd stuff can get rid of the need for Perlbal then I
would be comfortable dropping NFS mode.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com