MogileFS Oracle support

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri Sep 29 18:05:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Jay Buffington wrote:
>
> > MySQL locks (GET_LOCK and RELEASE_LOCK) are used in a couple of
> > places.  Replace with a CPAN module like Proc::Lock?  I'm not sure if
> > Proc::Lock does what we need.
>
> I very much doubt it:  GET_LOCK isn't per-connection, it's global across
> all callers.  If you have multiple mogilefsds, Proc::Lock wouldn't protect
> you at all.

Thinking about this more, we need to just move to using transactions.
That's eliminate a lot of the GET_LOCK and INSERT IGNORE, etc, situations.

Being able to use MyISAM was good for testing early on, but nowadays
all distros come with InnoDB, so that argument is kinda weak.

Or we could do MogileFS::DBProvider::MySQL_MyISAM as well as
MogileFS::DBProvider::MySQL, and have the MySQL_MYISAM one not do
transactions, using identical SQL to now ....

- Brad