Data splitting

drpr0ctologist at gmail.com drpr0ctologist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:49:47 UTC 2007

> I'm System Administrator of some portal in Poland. We start using MogileFS
> few days
> ago, and I suppose it was greatest decision made in last 3 months. We have
> many
> photos of our users, and it was thing killing our harddrives. Now we are
> using 2
> MFS servers with 4 HDDs each, and waiting for other server. Thanks to
> enable_rebalance function, we don't need to manually add photos to new
> server. So
> your first problem is solved. Second doesn't exist - You add "mount
> points" to tracker,
> and it's tracker's problem to split photos to other servers. PHP app is
> beside it.
>
> We was trying with NFS, but have many problems. Mogile solves many of it.

Awesome!

Now one more thing. Do you recommend that I load images using
IMG1.domain.com, IMG2.domain.com?  How would this work with MogileFS?

Or should I not try that at all and just load all images as
www.domain.com/images/...?  The drawback to this, though, is that all image
requests would go from client to web server to image server, then back to
web server and to the client (as opposed to client to image server back to
the client).