disk migration to a new host?

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sun Aug 19 19:36:51 UTC 2007

Brandon Ooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been using Mogilefs for a long time now and it's been working out
> great! (the "new" drain/rebalance stuff is awesome!). Quick question for
> anybody who has tried this.
>
> We are migrating datacenters and I was wondering if it would be possible
> to "migrate" disks. For example:
>
> * mark dev1 as down
> * copy (or physically move) the dev1 disk to the other datacenter.
> * change the host that dev1 is on (devices table)
> * mark dev1 as up?
>
> Any experience or input would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Brandon

There might be an edge case I don't know of, but that should work... I'd
actually recommend marking the _host_ and devices as down and moving it
wholesale, if you have enough hosts.

And I assume your new/old DC's are connected via L2 somehow? There'll be
a lot of cross traffic if you simply mark them as up again at the new
DC, while continuing to run at the old one.

-Dormando