APPEND instead of POST

John Berthels jjberthels at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:34:11 UTC 2007

> from my understanding the only current method to update a file is to replace
> it as a whole.
>
> Are there any plans to introduce something like an append method there one
> just adds new data to an already existing file?

The current svn repo contains an *experimental* edit_file function,
which allows you to 'steal' one replica of a file and update it. (You
get back a seekable filehandle, writes to that filehandle become
partial PUTs to the webserver). When you close the filehandle the new
copy should replace any other replicas.

It only works with backend stores which support partial PUT and DAV
MOVE (e.g. apache webdav).

Note that if there is only one replica, doing an edit_file will take
it, leaving the existing key without any replicas to it's name.

Note also the warnings in the MogileFS::Client::edit_file documentation.

regards,

jb