The number of files MogileFS can support

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri Dec 21 01:26:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 16:08, Mark Smith wrote:

> Anyway, I can't see this being a particularly perfect fit for MogileFS
> though.  I can't imagine it not working, but really small files like
> that aren't really the use case it's been built for.

I think it should work okay - it really depends on the use (access
patterns, load, ...)

There'll be a good deal of wasted space and resources (block sizes,
space used in the databases etc).

One idea would be to split the cluster in 2 or 3 chunks to more easily
get the tracker and database load scaled horizontally.

Another is to make the storage nodes "smarter" about how they store
their files (use something else than the file system).

  - ask