Allocating MySQL cluster nodes for MogileFS database

Jonathan Steinert hachi at kuiki.net
Wed Feb 7 19:16:40 UTC 2007

Arthur Bebak wrote:
> Jared Klett wrote:
>
>>     and the MySQL cluster storage nodes:
>>
>> * Dual Opteron 2.4 Ghz (Troy)
>> * 8 GB memory (may upgrade to 16 before going into production)
>> * 3ware 8006-2LP (RAID-1 for system)
>>
>>     am I way off base here? asking for trouble (performance
>> problems)? if so, what should I move off the file servers to other
>> machines?
>
> I suspect your file servers are fine, though given that MogileFS copies
> its files into memory (e.g. the get_file_data call) the more memory
> the better.
>
> The only other comment I would make is to configure your MySQL boxes
> with Raid 10.
> You want high IO rates, particularly if your DB size will be large,
> and of course
> you want the reliability.

I see a lot of talk about using ndb (Mysql Cluster) here, and while I'm
not exactly sure of the state of this in MySQL 5.1,
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-cluster-basics.html still
says that this is an in-memory storage system. Assuming that is the
case, then RAID 10 vs RAID 1 on the MySQL data storage nodes will make
no difference at all.

I could be all wet on this subject, and someone should correct me if I
am, but this is what I see in your setup.

--Jonathan