what hardware for mogilefs

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Mon Jul 2 07:42:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:14:37AM +0200, Krzysztof Kulicki wrote:
>  Hi,
>  I will have  6.000.000.000 queries about foto, transfer 36000GB per
>  month. How much servers I need and what kind ? I will need more disk
>  storage or more ram storage?  I would use mogilefs for it.
Could you state how many photos you have in total and what quantity of
disk they presently occupy? Also look at what your peak traffic is
weekly, as that will figure into your IO requirements.

As a general formula to work out the requirement amount of storage for
the objects in a given class, take the amount of storage that a single
copy requires, and multiply it by your desired mindevcount.
Eg: 20GiB of data with mindevcount=3, requires 60GiB of storage.

So work out your storage classes, say 100Gb of photos with a of
mindevcount=6, 5Gb of thumbnails with mindevcount=3. That's 615Gb in
total.

If you use the default MultipleHosts replication policy, you should have
at least as many separate machines as your mindevcount. (Having two
hosts, one with 1 device, and the other with 4 devices, things really
suck if you temporarily lose the host that has 4 devices).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
E-Mail     : robbat2 at gentoo.org