disk monitoring

Eric Lambrecht eml at guba.com
Tue May 1 00:23:00 UTC 2007

What does everybody here use for monitoring the health of disks? We've
got quite a heterogenous setup going on, and at the moment I think
manual monitoring of syslog is all we've got since various machines seem
to fail in all sorts of new and interesting ways with new and
interesting error messages.

A cursory look on the web makes me think 'smartmontools.sf.net' might
work pretty well, as I think all our machines ultimately use SATA drives.

We're using the latest mogile with the test writes, but that still
doesn't seem to catch everything.

Any sage advice from experienced disk-tenders?

Eric...