disk monitoring

James Byers jbyers at jbyers.com
Tue May 1 00:53:35 UTC 2007

smartd is a good start.  We have it running periodic self-tests with
email notifications.  Something like this config:

/dev/hdc -a -I 194 -I 190 -m <email> -s (S/../.././09|L/../(01|15)/./05)

The two "-I" flags ignore counters for temperature and some other
value we don't care about, these prevent filling logs with useless
notices.  They may be not be suitable for your disks.  The odd
regular expression chunks at the end specify test intervals for Short
and Long self-tests.  For boxes with lots of disks you can let smartd
probe rather than explicitly specifying devices.

In the last two years, smartd has always caught our SATA disks before
they finally went lights-out.  Sometimes you don't get much notice
though, one disk went from an "old-age" soft_read_error_rate to hard
failure in under a day.

James
Wikispaces.com