mogilefs & fuse

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon May 14 18:40:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Adam Rosien wrote:

> On 5/14/07, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad at danga.com> wrote:
> > > It's annoying that the tracker can't give you file sizes though.
> >
> > That's a one-line change that I keep forgetting (if I were to add it to
> > get_paths).  But should I add a new "stat_key" method instead, which would
> > also be a good place to include an mtime in the response?
>
> Another highly useful addition would be the ability to get/set "entity
> tags" to support caching semantics and optimistic concurrency as in
> HTTP (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.11).
> A new param to create_open would be an optional etag value which is
> returned on get_paths().

Where do we draw the line, though?

I don't want Mogile's database to be your app's database.

Presumably your app can do the ETag If-None-Match stuff yourself.  I know
LiveJournal deals with caching before we even get to asking Mogile about
anything.

One theoretical line is what a FUSE mounting system would expect, without
its own database... like mtimes.  But that's about all I can think of
that's missing, if that were the line we'd choose.

- Brad