copy cmd proposal

Andy Lo A Foe andy.loafoe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:12:56 UTC 2007

You can md5 hash the content and use that as the key? That's what we do. Our
files are typically 50-100MB in size so having just 1 copy of the file on
the cluster makes saves space (some content is shared between users). Only
time we loose is if the file needs to be in multiple domains, but then you
might not want to share anything between domains anyway. Also, the overhead
of calculating the MD5 is not a problem for us but might be unacceptable for
you.

Most of what you want can be done with just a few lines of code in
application space.. the I/O win would be pretty minimal, unless the majority
of your opertations is copying files, in which case MogileFS might not even
be the right solution anyway ;)

Gr,
Andy